Domestic Abuse, Violence and Immigration

We are glad to announce that The Law Office of Natalia Malyshkina will be donating funds on a quarterly basis to the San Francisco Women Against Rape (SFWAR) organization.

You do NOT have to suffer from domestic abuse:

It sometimes happens that immigrants, especially women, become victims of domestic and sexual violence. Often due to language barrier, lack of resources and lack of knowledge immigrants stay with their abuser for years, living in unbearable conditions.

The Law Office of Natalia Malyshkina would like to share information about Safe Houses, which provide services to victims and survivors of domestic violence, stalking, and sexual assault. I would like to also talk about some of your immigration options.

Safe Houses operate as shelters for persons who are in a violent or potentially violent environment. Women and their children may stay in Safe Houses from a few nights to up to 18 months in some cases. At a Safe House women can often receive:

–          Shelter, counseling, case management, community resource referrals, and other services to help women and their children obtain safe self-sufficiency

–          Individual and group counseling on the dynamics of domestic violence and sexual assault for children and adults as well as parenting support

–          Sexual assault advocates accompany victims to the hospital, assist victims through law enforcement, court systems, and provide counseling

–          Through support and advocacy personnel of Safe Houses educate the women and the community about methods of prevention of future abuse

Immigrants may not realize that staying with the abusive spouse is not the only way they can remain in the US, avoid deportation and receive the desired immigration status. A few years ago US Congress gave immigrants who are married to abusive spouses a way out from the abusive household.

As a battered spouse, child or parent, you may file an immigrant visa petition under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), as amended by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).

The VAWA provisions in the INA allow certain spouses, children, and parents of U.S. citizens and permanent residents (Green Card holders) to file a petition for themselves, without the abuser’s knowledge. This allows victims to seek both safety and independence from their abuser, who is not notified about the filing.

The VAWA provisions, which apply equally to women and men, are permanent and do not require congressional reauthorization.

Additionally, a U Visa could be an option for unmarried immigrants who suffered domestic abuse.

You may book a consultation with The Law office of Natalia Malyshkina to receive more information about VAWA and U Visas.

More information about:

U visa

Abusive US spouse.

WAVA or U visa?

Here is the phone number to locate a Safe House in San Francisco where some of our clients received help:


Safe House sexual assault and domestic violence advocates on call 24 hours, 7 days a week